During Your Next Presentation, Use Your Hands to Project Confidence
When you’re in front of an audience, you want to project confidence. But when you’re nervous, your hands often flit about and fidget. Use one of these positions to keep your hands still. Practice in front of a mirror, then with friends, until it feels natural.
- Hold the ball : Gesture as if you are holding a basketball between your hands. This movement, a Steve Jobs favorite, displays confidence and control, as if you have the facts at your fingertips.
- Palms up : Turning your hands up indicates openness and honesty, and it shows that you’re willing to connect with the people you’re speaking to, whether it’s one person or a crowd of thousands.
- Pyramid : Keep your hands still by clasping them together in a relaxed pyramid. Beware of overusing this position or pairing it with domineering or arrogant facial expressions. The idea is to show that you’re relaxed, not smug.
- Preparation : Are you prepared for the presentation? In any case while presenting it should look like you are doing so naturally. For this you may definitely need to work hard while preparing which involves rehearsing multiple times to achieve this level of ease.
- To the point : You may be going about your presentation very smoothly, but what is the point if you are not to the Point? So try stating your objective before you start along with the estimated time you may take. This gives you the advantage of having taken permission from your audience.
- Keep it short : Nobody would like to sit in front of a 40 or 50 slide presentation, which will take eternity to finish and difficult to remember! And your slides should not be cluttered with a lot of text and images which people cannot read! And you are not there to read it out, are you? The information on your slides should be crisp & precise and help you move ahead.
- All’s well that ends well : And at the very end of it all sum up your points so that they are remembered the way you want them to be. You may have done a belly dance for that matter, but that’s not what you want them to remember, right?
There are many more such tips that can help, but these few are the most prominent while you stand in front of a crowd while you give a presentation. Let’s not confuse this with Public speaking which is without any aids, whereas you are following a set of slides that are well prepared and convey what you have to say.
Werardt Systemss Pvt Ltd has 30+ years experience and offers various Enterprise software solutions for Manufacturing, Supply Chain Management. It provides End-to-End software solutions and value added services in these domains to improve operations. Products:
- CONNEKT - Online Mobility & Web based system for SCM of FMCG segment
- FTM - A Computerized Maintenance Management System
- SOHUM - An ERP system for the SME segment
- ICM - Calibration Management System for Pharmaceutical Industry
- Maintenance 4.0 - Maintenance 4.0 Platform to achieve Condition Based Maintenance using Edge Computing, Predictive Analytics and later Prescriptive Analytics.
You may also visit our Facebook Page article https://www.facebook.com/notes/werardt-systemss-pvt-ltd/during-your-next-presentation-use-your-hands-to-project-confidence/1357282614370124
Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/Werardt
LinkedIn Page https://www.linkedin.com/company/werardt/
Social Wall https://walls.io/bnk63